The American Judicature Society was established in 1913 as an independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with the purpose of improving the administration of justice in the United States, and to increase public understanding of the justice system.
On October 7, 1912, AJS founder Herbert Harley sent a A Circular Letter Concerning the Administration of Justice to key legal minds in each state asking for their review and opinions concerning conclusions contained in the Circular Letter.
In 2014, due to funding constraints, AJS operations shifted from the Dwight D. Opperman Center at Drake University to the AJS Hawaii Chapter. Thanks to to the generosity of several institutions which include the National Center for State Courts, the Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies, the Hunter Center of the Communities Foundation of Texas, and the South Texas College of Law, the assets and programs of the original Society were preserved. In addition, in view of its excellent tradition of active membership, service, and contributions to the AJS mission, the Hawaii State Chapter of the original Society has carried on the operations of the new American Judicature Society.
Today, the American Judicature Society continues to promote the effective administration of justice in the United States. Towards this end, the Hawaii Chapter of AJS maintains the following standing committees that monitor issues affecting the judiciary, develop a variety of programs related to the judiciary, and publish newsletters, articles, and reports:
- Civil Justice (Including Family Court, ADR)
- Judicial Administration
- Judicial Selection, Retention, and Accountability
Other AJS Chapters have reorganized as well and reports of their activities will be posted to this website in the future.