The AJS periodically honors outstanding individuals with the awards below for their exemplary service or achievements at a public event:
- Justice Award, the highest award given by AJS, is presented in recognition of years of dedicated leadership in judicial administration and reform.
- Herbert Harley Award, named after the founder of the American Judicature Society, is awarded to individuals who have made outstanding contributions that substantially improved the administration of justice in Hawai‘i.
- Lifetime Distinction Award is presented for investing one’s life in improving the judicial system in Hawai‘i and serving the Hawai‘i community with distinction throughout one’s life.
- Special Merit Citation recognizes projects and efforts that benefit some aspect of the judicial system, including those that are narrowly focused or time specific.
- Other awards recognize persons or organizations that have made significant contributions toward the improvement of the administration of justice and/or inspired others to do the same.
The following presents current and previous AJS honorees.
- Ronald Moon, former Chief Justice of the Hawai‘i Supreme Court: Herbert Harley Award
- Colin Miwa, Cades Schutte LLP: Special Merit Citation
- James S. Burns, former Chief Judge of the Intermediate Court of Appeals: Lifetime Achievement Award
- Jon Van Dyke, Professor, University of Hawai‘i William S. Richardson School of Law: Herbert Harley Award (posthumously honored)
- Simeon R. Acoba, Jr., Associate Justice of the Hawai‘i Supreme Court: national Ninth Annual Dwight D. Opperman Award for Judicial Excellence
- William S. Richardson, former Chief Justice of the Hawai‘i Supreme Court: Herbert Harley Award
- James S. Burns, former Chief Judge of the Intermediate Court of Appeals: Special Merit Citation
- Hawai‘i Opportunity Probation with Enforcement (Hope Probation): Special Merit Citation.
- Samuel P. King, former Senior Judge, U.S. District Court: Lifetime Distinction Award.
- Lawrence Okinaga, Carlsmith Ball LLP: AJS Justice Award.
- Geoge Chaplin, former Editor-in-Chief, Honolulu Advertiser: Herbert Harley Award
- Herman Lum, former Chief Justice of the Hawaiʻi Supreme Court: Herbert Harley Award